maandag 13 juli 2020

Movies You Expected to Hate, but Loved

I think everyone can make a list like this. You see a trailer for a movie or read about an upcoming flick and you just roll your eyes. Because you will most definitely hate it. But when you eventually see it, you really really really love it. Here is a list of my misjudgments, the movies I expected to hate, but actually loved.

John Wick (2014)
I thought it was going to be one of those terrible revenge movies, kind of like how Steven Seagal makes them. But it eventually turned out to be such a great film with awesome fight scenes. And the sequels get better and better, I love those even more. It still is an old-fashioned revenge movie, about a former hitman who is becomes vengeful after a bunch of Russian mobsters kill his dog.

The Lego Movie (2014)
Who really needed this movie? Well, apparently I did. Nobody expected a movie about the most popular bricks would be such a huge hit. I was fascinated with how it was made and “The Lego Movie” was extremely funny. And that song.....

Avatar (2009)
I avoided this film, for as long as I could. I didn’t want to see it, thought it was just another cash-grab and found the blue creatures super weird. But I eventually caved and saw it, at home. And now I’m sad that I never saw it on the big screen. I never expected this film to have such a strong message and it looks amazing. The film still has a lot of haters, but now I don’t understand why. Because “Avatar” is such a beautiful film.

Game Night (2018)
It seemed kind of boring and goofy, and Jason Bateman starring didn’t really look inviting, since most of his comedy work is silly. Yet, I was very wrong and think this is one of the best comedies of the 2010s. I loved the starting point of this film, enjoyed Rachel McAdams and Jason Bateman together. Such a funny comedy.

Spy (2015)
A spy comedy, ugh. With Melissa McCarthy, who will probably do what she always does. But “Spy” is hilarious. And Jason Statham, whom I’m not a big fan of, is the best part of this film (never thought I would EVER say that). “Spy” is one great comedy!

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
I like spy movies, but I expected “Kingsman: The Secret Service” to be another James Bond clone. I was so surprised with how good this film was. It has humor and does mock the genre at times. Great action and that scene in the church with “Free Bird” playing is one of the best scenes I had seen that year. A fantastic action flick.

Happy Death Day (2017)
Just another teen slasher I thought. It actually turned out to be a very funny and clever horror film. Much better than I expected it to be.

Ant-Man (2015)
I really thought ”Ant-Man” was going to suck, because I wasn’t really sure if Paul Rudd could pull off the superhero vibe. And director Peyton Reed was mainly known for some comedies he made. Little did I know that “Ant-Man” would eventually become one of my favorite MCU films. Now I can’t think about anyone else playing Scott Lang. I enjoyed the comedic tone the film has and Rudd really is perfect for it. I also really loved the fact that it brought back Evangeline Lilly, I have loved her since I was introduced to her in “Lost”.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
I mainly hated the idea of it being rebooted, since I really love the original “Jumanji”, even though time hasn’t been kind to it at all. The CGI is very outdated, but still. When I did see “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” it really pleasantly surprised me. I loved the cast and how they told the same story, but adapted it to the modern world.

Geen opmerkingen: