zaterdag 11 november 2023

Book Review - The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James

Title: 
The Book of Cold Cases
Series: -
Author: Simone St. James
 
Description: In 1977, Claire Lake, Oregon, was shaken by the Lady Killer Murders: Two men, seemingly randomly, were murdered with the same gun, with strange notes left behind. Beth Greer was the perfect suspect – a rich, eccentric twenty-three-year old woman, seen fleeing one of the crimes. But she was acquitted, and she retreated to the isolation of her mansion.
 
Oregon, 2017. Shea Collins is a receptionist, but by night, she runs a true crime website, the Book of Cold Cases – a passion fueled by the attempted abduction she escaped as a child.  When she meets Beth by chance, Shea asks her for an interview. To Shea’s surprise, Beth says yes.
 
They meet regularly at Beth’s mansion, though Shea is never comfortable there. Items move when she’s not looking, and she could swear she’s seen a girl outside the window. The allure of learning to truth about the case from the smart, charming Beth is too much to resist, but even as they grow closer, Shea senses something isn’t right. Is she making friends with a manipulative murderer, or are there other dangers lurking in the darkness of the Greer house?  
 
Review: If you enjoy crime thrillers with a hint of supernatural to it, “The Book of Cold Cases” by Simone St. James might be just the book for you. It’s just the right amount of spooky if you are not a big fan of ghost stories.
 
Shea is the main character in the book. She works at a receptionist at a doctor’s office. But he true passion is her website: The Book of Cold Cases. Where she writes about true crime cold cases. When she meets Beth Greer, a woman who was accused of murder in the 70s but was acquitted for the crime, Shea wants to interview her. And to her surprise Beth says yes.
 
I loved Simone St. James’ book “The Broken Girls”, which I read earlier this year. It was a perfect thriller for me. And “The Book of Cold Cases” did exactly the same for me. I love how St. James build her stories. Dual timelines, a crime that happened in the past, linking it to someone in the present. And a supernatural element added to is as well. I love her writing as well and I can say that Simone St. James might become a favorite author for me. She is definitely one that I will auto-buy from.
 
Even though the story isn’t filled with major surprises or twists, I could not put this book down. I was super invested in the case, in the characters in their backstories. I loved the dual timelines and how the book switches perspectives. And the big reveal was actually pretty early on in the book, but still I wanted to keep reading.
 
If you have read from Simone St. James before and enjoyed her books previous books, you will “The Book of Cold Cases” probably like this as well. I know I did.
 
Rating: 5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: