woensdag 31 januari 2018

Movie Reviews - The Greatest Showman

Director: Michael Gracey
Genre: Drama/ Musical
Runtime: 99 minutes
Year: 2017
Starring: Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson

Description: Celebrates the birth of show business, and tells of a visionary (Hugh Jackman) who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation.

Review: Phineas Taylor Bartum works at an office. When he loses his job because the company goes bankrupt, he and his wife Charity don’t really worry. Because their two daughters and their happiness is all that matters. He eventually becomes the creator of show business and a worldwide sensation.
The film has some amazing showstoppers, but somehow the pop sound doesn’t really fit the 19th century setting. And besides Bartum himself, the characters are all a bit flat.
It now looks like I didn’t like “The Greatest Showman”, which isn’t true. I really did enjoy it, musicals are my guilty pleasure and they often give me a warm feeling. And so did “The Greatest Showman”, because I really loved the music. It just felt like they didn’t belong in this film, at least not the time it was set in.
I love Hugh Jackman, but I do prefer him with claws and a beard. Zac Efron did a good job, Michelle Williams didn’t have that much to do and Rebecca Ferguson was okay.
“The Greatest Showman” is ignored by many people, probably because of the genre. It’s a genre that Hollywood tries to bring new life to, but they only succeed ever so often. I think this is not one of their successes, even though I really liked it. Mixed feelings though.

Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: