maandag 25 februari 2019

Academy Awards 2019 - Results

Who watched the Oscars last night? Well, I did. And I said I felt lucky. I was so wrong, because this year the Academy finally decided to be more surprising. In one way, it's a good thing. Because I like to being surprised. Some wins really made me extra happy this year.

Spike Lee winning for best adapted screenplay, for "BlacKkKlansman". He is a man with a voice that should be heard, someone with an important message to tell. And he finally got the recognition he deserved.

No Disney winning the animated feature award, but "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse". Not so much a surprise, but a great change. This category has gotten so predictable, I'm glad that this year it wasn't Disney or Pixar (even though I love them).

Olivia Colman is a fantastic actress, I already knew that. But I'm glad that she was finally recognized by the Academy. Her performance in "The Favourite" is amazing. I sure as hell thought Glenn Close was going home with the best actres award. I was wrong.

Mahershala Ali is one of the greatest discoveries of the past years. And him winning the best supporting actor award for "Green Book" was one of the few wins I was sure of. Well-deeserved.

Alfonso Cuarón took home two awards, for best director and best cinematography, for the movie "Roma". He is a genius director and maybe even more a briljant cinematographer. Very cool to see him take away both awards.

The best picture category is Always the hardest to predict, but this year I was absolutely sure "Roma" would win. Wrong again! Underdog "Green Book" won and it was actually the movie I was hoping for.

Geen opmerkingen: