maandag 14 december 2020

Movie Review - Happiest Season

Director:
Clea DuVall
Genre: Romance/ Comedy
Runtime: 102 minutes
Year: 2020
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Mackenzie Davis, Alison Brie, Dan Levy, Mary Steenburgen, Victor Garber, Mary Holland, Aubrey Plaza

Description: A holiday romantic comedy that captures the range of emotions tied to wanting your family’s acceptance, being true to yourself, and trying not to ruin Christmas

I WATCHED THIS MOVIE FOR MY 2020 MOVIE CHALLENGE.
WEEK 51: A CHRISTMAS MOVIE

Review: There is only a handful of Christmas movies that I actually love. I really need to be in the mood for a movie that is themed with this holiday. And to be honest, most Christmas movies aren’t really that good. I was really excited for “Happiest Season” and it didn’t disappoint.
Harper and Abby are two women in love. Abby isn’t a fan of Christmas, since she lost her parents and never really felt like celebrating the holiday. Harper loves it and wants Abby to join her and her family for Christmas. When they are on their way, Harper confesses to Abby that she never told her family that she’s gay. Abby is introduced as Harper’s roommate. Soon Abby learns that Harper’s family is one that strives perfection and that Harper isn’t the only one that is keeping a secret.
Clea DuVall directs the movie. And she does it really well. Yes, the movie has clichés and is predictable here and there, but when done well it never bothers me. I love the family dynamic, Harper and Abby’s characters and their struggles. My favorite characters are two supporting ones: Mary Holland as the youngest sister Jane who never seems to be getting any credit at all and is overlooked. And John, Abby’s gay friend, played by Dan Levy. Every word coming out of his mouth is hilarious and I think he is my new favorite person!
“Happiest Season” is a movie that gave me exactly what I wanted and met my expectations. The cast is good, the story isn’t very special, but the execution is really solid. I highly enjoyed this movie, every minute of it. It’s a perfect Christmas movie.

Rating: 3,5 / 5

Geen opmerkingen: