zondag 28 augustus 2022

Oldies Movie Review - Steamboat Willie

Director:
Ub Iwerks
Genre: Animation/ Comedy/ Family
Runtime: 7 minutes
Year: 1928
Starring: Walt Disney, Charlotte Jamquie

I WATCHED THIS MOVIE FOR MY 2022 MOVIE CHALLENGE.
WEEK 34: A DISNEY ANIMATION
 
Description: Mickey Mouse si a mischievous deckhand on a riverboat that is under the command of the tyrannical Captain Pete.

Review: Let me just start with the fact that “Steamboat Willie” doesn’t stand the test of time when it comes to the themes and content.

“Steamboat Willie” is about Mickey Mouse who works on a riverboat, for a tyrannical captain. On this boat, he decided to make the best of it, by playing pranks and making music.

The animation itself is great, I love the black and white, old-school Mickey. But content-wise, this is just something you can’t laugh about these days. Am I the only one that thinks Mickey Mouse is kind of a dick in this short film? I mean, he pulls a gooses neck to make it sing and pulls and kicks baby pigs away from their mother, so he can use the pig as an accordion.

Style-wise, I like it, content-wise I hate it. So almost impossible to rate.

Rating: 2,5/ 5
 

Geen opmerkingen: