zondag 1 januari 2023

Top 10: Favorite Books of 2022

2022 was the year I finally got out of my reading slump. For not having read for quite some time, I finally discovered what I really want to read, explored new genres and authors. I had a great reading year. My goal was 20 books, I ended up reading 33, which is a big deal for me. Here are my favorite books I read this year.

10. I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy
A book I would have never picked up if I hadn’t read so many great things about it on social media. It’s a memoir from Jennette McCurdy, who got fame because of her role as Sam Puckett on the Nickelodeon show “iCarly”. She tells the story of how she never wanted to become an actress, but was forced into it by her mother who wanted nothing more than for Jennette to be famous. It’s an honest, raw and heartbreaking story. Read my FULL REVIEW HERE.
 
9. The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman
I started this series this year and “The Man Who Died Twice” is the second book in the Thursday Murder Club series. We follow a group of septuagenarians who live in an elderly community and have a murder club, where they try to solve cold cases. When people actually get murdered around them, they try to solve it. The characters are so great, I would love to be part of this group. This is a highly enjoyable whodunit and a perfect sequel. Check out my FULL REVIEW HERE.
 
8. The Maidens by Alex Michaelides
This is the book that got me out of my reading slump. A book I received in a blind book box. Mariana Andros visits her niece Zoe after her friend Tara has gone missing. Zoe goes to Cambridge University and soon Mariane starts suspecting one of Zoe’s professors: Edward Fosca. He is a professor of Greek Tragedy and a very popular man. He even has a group of loyal female followers who themselves the Maidens. I loved the dark academia vibe and the constant tension between Mariana and Fosca. A rock solid mystery thriller. Read my FULL REVIEW HERE.
 
7. The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz
This was one of the surprises this year. I got this in a blind book box and I was so surprised in how good this book was and how much I ended up loving it. It’s about Jake Bonner, a teacher of creative writing and a failed writer. When one of his students shares a plot he’s been writing and Jake later learns he dies, Jake decides to use the plot himself and write a book. It turns out to be a best-selling novel, but someone has found out that the plot this book is based on, isn’t his. The book isn’t the most eventful one I read, but somehow it intrigued me. There is this constant oppressive feeling and Jake’s fear throughout the book kept me invested. There are also chapter where you actually read parts of Jake Bonner’s book. I found this really clever. I was super impressed by Jean Hanff Korelitz’ writing and can’t wait to read more of her work. Read my FULL REVIEW HERE.
 
6. Rock Paper Scissors by Alice Feeney
The second book by Alice Feeney that I read and I loved it. Adam and Amelia are taking a trip to Scotland, were they will be spending the weekend together. Adam is a workaholic screenwriter who suffers from face blindness. While on their vacation, Adam and Amelia realize something is not right. The story is told from three different perspectives: Adam, Amelia and a woman named Robin. There are also chapters that are letters written to Adam by his wife, commemorating several anniversaries of their marriage. This was such a good thriller, so well-crafted. The plot twists were amazing. Read my FULL REVIEW HERE.
 
5. Lock Every Door by Riley Sager
This was my introduction to Riley Sager. A book that kept me on the edge of my seat at all times. Life hasn’t been particularly kind to Jules Larsen. She was fired, dumped by her boyfriend, no place to live and broke. She stumbles upon an ad for a house sitter, in the Bartholomew building, where the rich and famous live. The amazing salary would solve all of Jules’ problems. And even though it all sounds to good to be true, Jules grabs the opportunity. But strange things are happening in the Bartholomew. The story alternates timelines and when the book started, I was immediately sucked in. And the ending had me speechless, so unexpected and original. Sager became a favorite auto-buy author for me this year. My FULL REVIEW IS HERE.
 
4. The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
This book is an enchanting and heartwarming novel that shows that there are always other possibilities. An ode to life. In “Midnight Library” we meet Nora who is overwhelmed by the feeling that she has made wrong choices in her life, disappointing everyone. when she finds herself in the Midnight Library, a place between life and death she gets the chance to see the many ways her life could have turned out differently. Every book she opens takes her to another life. You can read my FULL REVIEW HERE.
 
3. His & Hers by Alice Feeney
This was the first Alice Feeney book I read and I was blown away by “His & Hers”. A woman is murdered in a parking lot. Journalist Anna Andrews is reluctant when she has to report on this police investigation. Detective Jack Harper suspects Anna’s involvement in the case, but eventually becomes a suspect himself. One of them is not telling the truth. Each chapter brought new information and I loved how the book was told from three different perspectives: his, hers and the murderer’s. And the end was so good, never saw it coming. Read my FULL REVIEW HERE.
 
2. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson
This is the first in a series and a debut novel for Holly Jackson. I’m not very good at keeping up with series, but this one I will definitely continue reading. Because I absolutely loved reading this book. It follows the story of Pippa, a student who decided to write her final essay on a murder that happened in her hometown five years ago, where Andie bell was murdered and Sal Singh was arrested for it. Pip doesn’t believe that Sal did it and wants to find out what actually happened all those years ago. The format of this book was so unique and it really was a page-turner. You can read my FULL REVIEWHERE.
 
1.  The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune
I would have never picked up this book if it wasn’t recommended to me, because the synopsis didn’t appeal to me at first. Let alone thinking this would eventually become my favorite of the year and even a new all-time favorite. It follows Linus Baker, who is a social worker with the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He is given the special assignment of investigating whether six magically gifted at-risk youngsters living in an orphanage on a small island may pose too great a danger to society. This book was such a warm hug, I loved every minute of it and all the characters were so loveable. And aren’t these the best books, when you don’t even expect to like it as much as you did? I am so glad I decided to pick it up. Read my FULL REVIEW HERE.  
 
Honorable mentions: Pop Goes the Weasel by M.J. Arlidge, The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware, Home Before Dark by Riley Sager, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, The One by John Marrs

Geen opmerkingen: