zaterdag 2 december 2023

Rewatching My 100 Favorite Movies - Update 25

I decided to rewatch my 100 favorite movies of all-time. What those are, you can check HERE. I watch them in random order, there is no rhyme or reason there, just watching those movies I love so much.

81/ 100: The Burbs (1989)
Ray Peterson (Tom Hanks) is in need of rest and spends his vacation in his boring, decent suburb. But then the Klopek family movies into to his neighborhood. They behave a bit strangely, and strange noises come from their house at night. Together with his neighbors, Ray sets out to investigate. “The Burbs” has been a family favorite for years, a film my brother and I can randomly quote from. It’s not a perfect movie for most, but for us, it is the funniest thing out there. Check out my full review HERE.

82/ 100: Little Women (2019)
Yet another film adaptation of Louise May Alcott’s famous book, but in my eyes the best ou there. Aspiring writer Jo (Saoirse Ronan), one of the four March sisters, is the focus, but director Greta Gerwig shows remarkable sympathy for the ambitious Amy )Florence Pugh), who was has always been the “wrong sister” in other adaptations. Emma Watson plays eldest sister Meg and Eliza Scanlen plays introverted Beth. And Timothee Chalamet seems to be born for the role of Laurie. HERE you can read my full review.

83/ 100: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
Monsieur Gustave H. (Ralph Fiennes), the flamboyant concierge of five-star Hotel Gran Budapest tries to stay out of the hands of the fascists in 1932 along with lobby boy Zero (Toni Revolori). The silly characters, variegated colors and hyper-realistic setting, that director Wes Anderson is so known for, are all present.  Just like the dry-comic humor. And Ralph Fiennes is energetic and has perfect timing. Check out my full review HERE.

84/ 100: The Usual Suspects (1995)
Excellently acted crime story in which five criminals meet in a cell and, before being innocently released, decide to work together. Leader is the charistmatic Keaton (Gabriel Byrne). Gradually, the come in contact with the mysterious master criminal Keyser Soze. This film marked the breakthrough for actor Kevin Spacey, who also received an Oscar for his role. “The Usual Suspect” is one of the movies that everyone loves, I literally don’t know anyone who doesn’t. Check HERE for my full review.

Still to watch: 16

Geen opmerkingen: