zondag 28 januari 2024

Book Review - Wolfsong by T.J. Klune

Title: 
Wolfsong (Green Creek # 1)
Author: T.J. Klune
Genre: Fantasy/ LGBTQ/ Romance
Published: 2016
 
Description: Ox was twelve when his daddy taught him a very valuable lesson. He said that Ox wasn’t worth anything and people would never understand him. Then he left.
 
Ox was sixteen when he met the boy on the road. The little boy who talked and talked and talks. Ox found out later the little noy hadn’t spken in almost two years before that day, and that he belonged to a family who had moved into the house at the end of the lane.
Ox was seventeen when he found out the little boy’s secret and it painted the world around him in colors of red and orange and violet, of Alpha and Beta and Omega.
 
Ox was twenty-three when murder came to town and tore a hole in his head and heart. The boy chased after the monster with revenge in his bloodred eyes, leaving Ox behind to pick up the pieces.
 
It’s been three years since that fateful day, and the boy is back. Except now he’s a man, and Ox can no longer ignore the song that howls between them.
 
Review: I’m not much of a fantasy reader, but when I picked up T.J. Klune’s “The House in the Cerulean Sea” two years ago, I fell in love with his writing and it ended up being my favorite book I read that year. I loved his characters, the found family trope, everything really. Because it’s set in a realistic world, but has fantasy elements, it was a lighter type of fantasy book.
 
“Wolfsong” is the first book in the Green Creek series. Also a fantasy book set in our world, this time with people who can turn into wolves. It’s an LGBTQ book, “The House in the Cerulean Sea” also had this theme, but in “Wolfsong” is much more present. And because the romance is so overpowering, I didn’t quite like it that much. Aside from the romance, it’s a really good book, I very much enjoyed it. With romance in fantasy books, I often feel like it gets cringy. Which I felt here too.
 
I often feels like a YA novel, but it is clearly an adult novel. Because there are some really graphic love scenes in “Wolfsong”. And I’m not a very big fan of that. I prefer fade-to-black love scenes more, I really don’t need all the details.
 
One thing T.J. Klune did, was create great characters. I really loved reading about Ox and his new found family, the Bennetts. And his love for Joe was beautiful, but as stated before, the romance is a bit cringy at times. It sometimes felt a bit like the “Twilight” books, but with more wolves instead and likeable characters. I’m not really doing “Wolfsong” any justice here, because it is much better. But the romance gave me “Twilight” vibes.
 
The Green Creek series has three more books. And even though I did not love this book as much as I hoped I would, I’m still interested in the rest of the series eventually.
 
Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: