zondag 3 maart 2024

Book Review - Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim

Title: 
Six Crimson Cranes (Six Crimson Cranes # 1)
Author: Elizbeth Lim
Genre: Fantasy/ Young Adult/ Romance
Published: 2021
 
Description: Shiori, the only princess of Kiata, has a secret. Forbidden magic runs through her veins. Normally she conceals it well, but on the morning of her betrothal ceremony, Shiori loses control. At first, her mistake seems like a stroke of luck, forestalling the wedding she never wanted. But it also catches the attention of Raikama, her stepmother.
 
A sorceress in her own right, Raikama banishes the young princess, turning her brothers into cranes. She warns Shiori that she must not speak of it, for every words that escapes her lips, one of her brothers will die.
 
Penniless, voiceless, and alone, Shiori searches for her brothers, and uncovers a dark conspiracy to seize the throne. Only Shiori can set the kingdom to rights, but to do so she must place her trust in a paper bird, a mercurial dragon, and the very boy she fought so hard not to marry. And she must embrace the magic she’s been taught all her life to forswear – no matter what the cost.
 
Review: Princess Shiori lives in a world where magic is forbidden. When her stepmother Raikama, a sorcerer herself, catches Shiori using magic, she banishes the princess and turns her six brothers into crimson cranes. For every word Shiori speaks, one brother will die. She has to try and find a way to break the curse.
 
I’m not a fantasy reader, I probably never will be. But this cover spoke to me and I was really interested in the fairytale-like story it seemed to have. I wanted to try and see for myself.  And the book started strong. I was surprisingly enjoying it very much, loved the writing, the world-building, the magical elements. I flew through the first 200 pages.
 
After 200+ pages the book sort of lost me. I didn’t feel anything interesting happened and I really didn’t enjoy the romance. I love Shiori, but didn’t care for her romance with Takkan. And this got the overhand in the second half of the book.
 
This books main theme is family and that family bond. I really enjoyed that. I also loved Shiori’s friend Kiki, who was a paper crane, she magically brings to life. Kiki was actually my favorite character, funny enough.
 
I do think it’s a beautiful book and understand why it’s so well-loved. I felt the same for the first 200+ pages, but after that I just lost interest. And I did not like the ending. I will probably not pick up the second book, just because of that.
 
Rating: 3,5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: