zaterdag 24 december 2022

Top 10 - Favorite Christmas Movies

I love Christmas, it’s my favorite holiday. Spending time with family, having dinner, play games AND watch movies. Often the same ones me and my family chooses. And I don’t always like th most traditional Christmas movies. Here is a list of my 10 favorite Christmas (or set during Christmas) movies (not necessarily the best by the way).
 
10. Krampus (2015)
A Christmas horror film. Krampus is the devil-variant of Santa Clause, taking all the bad children. A satirical, Christmas horror, I’m so in. Full review HERE
 
9. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)
Always referred to as ‘that one with Chevy Chase’ in our household. My dad’s favorite Christmas movie of all-time. Even though we have seen this movie together a gazillion times, we (especially my dad) laugh so hard over all the things going wrong during the Griswold’s family Christmas. And everything that can go wrong, goes wrong. Somehow other people’s sorrow is fun to us….
 
8. Elf (2003)
Buddy grew up as an Elf, but really is not one. He is send to New York to find his real father and realizes that the true spirit of Christmas is disappearing. Will Ferrell as Buddy is just adorable and hilarious at the same time, such an enjoyable no-brainer of a Christmas movie.
 
7. A Muppet’s Christmas Carol (1992)
This had been my favorite before, but somehow I prefer 7 other Christmas movies now. The Muppets can not do anything wrong, they always bring joy to every family. It’s a musical, fille with all of our favorite Muppets, telling the classic Charles Dickens story.
 
6. Love Actually (2003)
The best romantic Christmas movie in my opinion. We follow several love stories in the weeks leading to Christmas. With a star-studded cast and many memorable scenes, this is such a lovely, heart-warming film.
 
5. Home Alone (1990)
It’s not Christmas without “Home Alone”. And still fun after so many rewatches. The young Kevin is accidentally left home alone right before Christmas. Two burglars have had their eye on the house, thinking no one is home. When they realize someone IS home, but it’s just a young boy, they think it’s a walk in the park. Think again. Super fun film, always a joy to watch with the family during Christmas. HERE you can read my full review. 
 
4. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang  (2005)
I believe this is one of those crime murder mysteries that people seem to forget about. And it’s set during Christmas, so, adding it to my list. High, because this one (and the three after this) are also on my 100 favorite movies of all-time list. Petty thief Harry Lockhart is on the run from the police and accidentally lands a role in a Hollywood movie. To gain some experience, he tags along with private detective Perry. They get involved in a murder mystery. A crime comedy, with a film noir style and a murder mystery going on. Full review HERE
 
3. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Macabre stop-motion animation that follows the adventures of Pumpkin King Jack Skelington who has had enough of his dark Halloweentown. He discovers Christmastown by chance and want to celebrate Christmas. The ongoing discussion whether this is a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie may never end, but that’s for me a reason to watch this film at least twice a year. A magnificent stop-motion film, that amazes me every time I watch it. Read my full review HERE
 
2. Die Hard (1988)
New York police officer John McClane travels for Christmas to a party in the Los Angeles skyscraper where his wife works. Unfortunately, a gang of terrorists led by the German Hans Gruber has planned a hostage-taking operation that very night. “Die Hard” is a classic action film, with the cynical, lone hero McClane. And even though Bruce Willis himself says that “Die Hard” isn’t a Christmas movie, it’s a top favorite for me and my family during the holiday season.
 
1. Gremlins (1984)
A film that is always my first choice when it comes to the Christmas movie I pick. It wasn’t marketed as a Christmas movie, but it’s set during this holiday and a big part of the film as well. A rock solid mix of dark humor and horror, with an ironic Christmas atmosphere. And with the cutest movie creature to be ever created: Gizmo.  Full review HERE
 
Honorable mentions: It’s a Wonderful Life, The Guardians of the Galaxy: Holiday Special, Jingle All the Way, The Shop Around the Corner, Happiest Season, Violent Night, Bad Santa, Scrooged, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Last Christmas

Geen opmerkingen: