zondag 27 augustus 2023

Book Review - The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

Title:
The Woman in Cabin 10
Series: -
Author: Ruth Ware
 
Description: Lo Blacklock, a journalist who writes for a travel magazine, has just been given the assignment of a lifetime: a week on a luxury cruise with only a handful of cabins. The sky is clear, the water is calm and the guest jovial as the exclusive cruise ship, the Aurora, begins her voyage in the North Sea. At first, Lo’s stay is nothing but pleasant: the cabins are plush, the dinner parties are sparkling, and the guest are elegant. But as the week wears on, frigid winds whip the deck, gray skies fall, and Lo witnesses what she can only describe as a dark and terrifying nightmare: a woman being thrown overboard. The problem? All passengers remain accounted for and so, the ship sails on as if nothing has happened, despite Lo’s desperate attempts to convey that something (or someone) has gone terribly wrong.
 
Review: Lo Blacklock has to write a story about the new cruise ship Aurora, for the travel magazine she is working for. A luxury cruise trip doesn’t sound bad, but it’s not the dream job after all. When Lo thinks she witnesses a murder, but no passengers seem to missing from the ship. Lo is determined to unravel the mystery.
 
I really like Ruth Ware, her writing is beautiful, and the set-up for “The Woman in Cabin 10” is promising. I love the setting, a cruise ship on the middle of the sea with no contact to the mainland. But that’s about it.
 
I can honestly say I did not enjoy “The Woman in Cabin 10”. I don’t mind unlikeable characters, but at least they are interesting. The ones in this book are far from interesting. I did not care for a single characters and I didn’t like them either. And the motivations for some are highly questionable as well. Some choices some of them make, made absolutely no sense.
 
I don’t mind clichés either, when they are done well. But there are so many clichés in this story, you know exactly how they play out. With that, the book is repetitive, predictable and I was constantly annoyed by the characters.
 
I know this is probably a very unpopular opinion and it’s by no means a bad book. I just did not enjoy I always base my raking on that. If I would recommend you a Ruth Ware book, it would not be this one. I’m so sorry…
 
Rating: 1,5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: