zaterdag 15 juli 2023

Book Review - Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Title: 
Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde
Series: -
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
 
Description: The story of respectable Dr. jekyll’s strange association with damnable young man Edward Hyde; the hunt through fog-bound London for a killer; and the final revelation of Hyde’s true identity.
 
Review: I think everyone knows this story. In the form of a book or movie at least, or just from hearsay. So did I, but I never read the book myself. It’s only a short novella, originally published in 1886 and we follow Dr. Jekyll  and the mysterious Mr. Hyde. Seen through the eyes of lawyer Utterson, who wants to find out who this Hyde is.
 
Don’t let the length fool you, it’s not an easy read. It’s is a character study and is not plot driven. I think most of us know the big plot twist for this story, but I’m not going to spoil it anyway. Even though I knew about it, it was great to read it. I can only imagine the responses from the people who read this back in the day, it being such a fantastic twist and reveal.
 
If you want to dive into more classic novels, I think this is a good way to start that. Because it’s a shorter book that does have a slow pace, but because most classic stories are slower paced, this novella would be great to start with.
 
I enjoyed this story, but it never fully captivated me or grabbed me. Whenever I put the book down, I didn’t have that feeling of wanting to pick it up again as soon as I could.
 
Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: