zaterdag 1 juli 2023

Book Review - Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Title:
Moby Dick
Series: -
Author: Herman Melville
 
Description: “Moby Dick” is the story of an eerily compelling madman pursuing an unholy war against a creature as vast and dangerous and unknowable as the sea itself. But more than just a novel of adventure, more than an encyclopedia of whaling lore and legend, the book can be seen as part of it’s author’s lifelong meditation on America.
 
Review: We follow the story of Moby Dick through the eyes of Ishmael, a native of Massachusetts who desperately wants to get to sea. He finds Captain Ahab, who he will travel to sea with. But Ahab’s real purpose of their trip is to catch the white whale to whom he lost his leg. The whale he calls Moby Dick.
 
“Moby Dick” is a book I wanted to read for a whale, a classic tale that everyone knows. The main reason it took me so long to pick it up, is because it intimidated me. The size scared me and most books from that time period have a slow pace.
 
I’m glad I finally read it, it’s a beautifully written book with a fantastic character study. “Moby Dick” is also one of the most difficult book I ever read. The old writing style made my brain work overtime. Author Herman Melville used a lot of terms you rarely here nowadays and he is extremely descriptive. Like I predicted, the pace is really slow. And because the book is mainly character driven, it has some lesser interesting moments.
 
I’m happy to have ticked off this box and literary fans must read “Moby Dick”. I think it’s a book that every book loved has to read once in their life.
 
Rating: 4/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: