maandag 20 mei 2013

50 Books Challenge 2013 - # 18: The Child Thief by Brom

Title: The Child Thief
Author: Brom
Story: Fourteen-year-old Nick would have been murdered by the drug dealers preying on his family had Peter not saved him. Now the irresistibly charismatic wild boy wants Nick to follow him to a secret place of great adventure, where magic is alive and you never grow old. Even though he is wary of Peter's crazy talk of faeries and monsters, Nick agrees. After all, New York City is no longer safe for him, and what more could he possibly lose?
Start: May 10th 2013
End: may 20th 2013
Comment: Peter Pan for grown-ups. I never liked Peter Pan as a kid, so I was a bit skeptical about this. When I started reading, I could't wait to see what would happen next. I was sucked into the story pretty quickly. But not for very long. It's a big book, but it became a struggle for me to finish it. The story is very original and dark but it's also a lot more violent then I expected it to be. Not for sensitive souls and I think it was unnecessary. I loved the illustrations in the book, really nice. As far as the character go, I couldn't really realte to any of them. All I know is that Peter creeped me out. He relates to the suffering of lost, abused, and broken children, but is incapable of truly caring about them. Although he tries to do good, for me he's more of a guy that will haunt my dreams. And that drawing of him of the cover doesn't help. The book met my expectations, because I didn't expect much. At first I thought it was going to be great and I wanted to like this book, but it was just a little bit too long to keep my attention. Rating: 2/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: