zondag 12 december 2021

10s Movie Review - The Equalizer 2

Director:
Antoine Fuqua
Genre: Action/ Crime/ Thriller
Runtime: 121 minutes
Year: 2018
Starring: Denzel Washington, Pedro Pascal, Ashton Sanders, Bill Pullman, Melissa Leo

Description: Robert McCall (Denzel Washington) serves an unflinching justice for the exploited and oppressed, but how far will he go when that is someone he loves?

Review: Four years before, “The Equalizer” made it clear to us that ex-CIA agent Robert McCall, who lives in anonymity, doesn’t stand injustice very well. This made for an exciting and strong crime thriller, that I liked more then I thought I would.
And then there was the sequel. It has a slow start and the mission stays unclear for some time. The biggest problem of the film is that it has many side stories, or smaller missions, that eventually lead to the big one. This way “The Equalizer 2” lacks focus and makes you less invested then the first film.
I do still like the character, especially during that one mission where he is teaching some cocky business men a lesson, after them sending a young female intern intoxicated home in the cab that McCall is driving.
Of course, the fact that McCall can continue doing what he is doing without any law enforcement cutting in, is a but implausible. That’s the fact for both movies. But here is started to bother me a bit, since he leaves many dead bodies or injured people behind.
I didn’t hate this movie, it was entertaining enough. But I wasn’t as invested as I was in the first movie and that’s clearly the better of the two. I don’t think we need a third film.

Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: