zondag 5 mei 2024

Book Review - None of This is True by Lisa Jewell

Title:
None of This is True
Author: Lisa Jewell
Genre: Thriller/ Mystery
Published: 2023
 
Description: Celebrating her forty-fifth birthday at her local pub, popular podcaster Alix Summers crosses paths with an unassuming woman called Josie Fair. Josie, it turns out, is also celebrating her forty-fifth birthday. They are, in fac, birthday twins.
 
A few days later, Alix and Josie bump into each other again, this time outside Alix’s children’s school. Josie has been listening to Alix’s podcasts and thinks she might be an interesting subject for her series. She is, she tells Alix, on the cusp of great changes in her life.
 
Josie’s life appears to be strange and complicated, and although Alix finds her unsettling, she can’t quite resist the temptation to keep making the podcast. Slowly she starts to realize that Josie has been hiding some very dark secrets, and before she knows it, Josie has inveigled her way into Alix’s life – and into her home.
 
But, as quickly as she arrived, Josie disappears. Only then does Alix discover that Josie has left a terrible and terrifying legacy in her wake, and that Alix has become the subject of her own true crime podcast, with her life and her family’s lives under mortal threat.
 
Who is Josie Fair? And what has she done?
 
Review: I have read two other Lisa Jewell books and I didn’t like either of them. “None of This is True” is Jewell’s latest psychological thriller that came out in 2023. And I decided to give her another shot, since this book is claimed to be one of her best (if not THE best).
 
Poscaast creator Alix Summer celebrates her 45th birthday and meets her birthday twin Josie Fair by chance. After meeting each other a second time, Alix decides to make a podcast series around Josie. But Josie has a lot of secrets I her life and Alix keeps finding out new things.
 
I loved the premise and the fact that the book has a podcast element. The book is told from the perspectives of Josie and Alix, but we also get chapters where a Netflix series is presented, based on the podcast Alix has made about Josie. I thought that part was especially very original. The secrecy around the character of Josie was interesting as well. But somehow, I still the story never full grabbed me.
 
I feel like, after finishing this book, I still didn’t get the full story. There are many questions that I have that were left unanswered. I don’t mind having an ending or certain plot points being left up to interpretation. But for “None of This is True” I just needed all the answers. The story doesn’t feel finished. 
 
I did enjoy this book more than the other two I have read, but I’m still not a fan of Lisa Jewell. I’m not sure if I will try out any other books by her, because if this is considered her best, I’m not really that interested.
 
Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: