woensdag 30 december 2015

Top 10: Favorite Movies of 2015

It’s that time of the year. Ranking all the movies from 2015 that I saw. Off course I cannot see every single movie, so there are probably some films you will be missing. And some movies that I know I will love, like “The Revenant”, “Spotlight”, “The Hatefull Eight” and “Creed” aren’t on this list because they haven’t been released yet in The Netherlands. This list is based on the Dutch theatrical releases, which also explains why there are possibly movies on the list that officially came out in 2014. Here are my 10 favorite films of 2015 (also check out my honorable mentions)!

10. Inside Out
Okay, just when we thought Pixar and Disney were running out of ideas, they brought us “Inside Out”. A smart and bold movie, with a great message. Exploring the inner emotions of a child combined with a race-against-time adventure. Great!
 
 
9. The Martian
“The Martian” is a movie I had expectations for, but I got even more than I expected. It was heartfelt, interesting and really funny. Matt Damon gives away a great performance and Ridley Scott finally directed another great film.
 
 
8. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
This movie is probably on the list because I’m a fangirl, I love the books. And this final chapter gave me exactly what I wanted. This is my second favorite film of the franchise and a good ending to the movie series.
 
 
7. The Lobster
It’s a weird story: single people are taken to a hotel, where they have to find a partner within 45 days. If they fail, they are turned into an animal. Colin Farrell’s character choses a lobster. And it’s exactly this unconventional story that I love. Farrell is an actor I either love or hate in a movie and in “The Lobster” he is phenomenal. Definitely not a movie for everyone, but at least give it a try.
 
 
6. Ex Machina
I can best describe “Ex Machina” as a mix of “Blade Runner” and “Her”, but then I would still not do it justice. It’s such a strong film, with only three characters. Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson are great, but Alicia Vikander is the star. This is a movie where you expect one thing and get something completely different.
 
 
5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The movie we’ve all been waiting for. We were all afraid that it was going to be bad, but it was AWESOME! J.J. Abrams found the perfect balance between nostalgia and a great new story with both old and new characters. Off course Han, Leia and Chewbacca, but also newbie heroes Rey, Finn and Po, droid BB-8 and villain Kylo Ren. And that scene on the bridge…… Nooooooo!
 
 
4. Sicario
After “Enemy” and “Prisoners” I had high expectations for “Sicario”. And director Denis Villeneuve did it! “Sicario” is a terrific thriller, with Emily Blunt as the big star. She is amazing in this film.
 
 
3. Birdman
Unfolding across two hours of backstage theater drama that play as a single take, it’s an almost impossibly complex technical achievement. And then Michael Keaton’s big comeback as actor Riggan, who once played a superhero and is now aiming for something higher. A cinematographic masterpiece.
 
 
2. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
This movie was great for us movie lovers, because of all the pop culture references. But this is also a movie that comes straight from the heart and ends up in our hearts as well. Such an honest, real film that grabbed me and touched me.
 
 
1. Mad Max: Fury Road
When I saw “Mad Max: Fury Road” in theaters it totally took my breath away. More than 30 years after leaving Max in the wasteland, George Miller returns to his signature series. I didn’t expect much at first and I left the theater overwhelmed. “Mad Max: Fury Road” is an incredible cinematic experience. A ride everyone has to take at least once in their life.
 
 
Honorable Mentions: Big Hero 6, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Jurassic World, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Straight Outta Compton

Geen opmerkingen: