zondag 11 maart 2012

50 Books Challenge 2012 - # 11: Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

Title: Nights in Rodanthe
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Story: At forty-five, Adrienne Willis must rethink her entire life when her husband abandons her for a younger woman. Reeling with heartache and in search of a respite, she flees to the small coastal town of Rodanthe, North Carolina to tend to a friend's inn for the weekend. But when a major storm starts moving in, it appears that Adrienne's perfect getaway will be ruined -- until a guest named Paul Flanner arrives. At fifty-four, Paul has just sold his medical practice and come to Rodanthe to escape his own shattered past. Now, with the storm closing in, two wounded people will turn to each other for comfort -- and in one weekend set in motion feelings that will resonate throughout the rest of their lives.
Start: march 6th 2012
End: march 11th 2012
Comment: When I started this theme, I just had to pick another Nicholas Sparks book. He is one of the best romantic novelists of this moment and I picked "Nights in Rodanthe". We follow 45-year old Adrienne who is trying to evaluate her life after her husband left her for a younger woman. Something we all hope will never happen to us. She meets a man, Paul, and falls in love with him. Something she tought would never happen to her again. I really liked to read about people in their fourties instead of the usual twenty or thirty something lovestories. I really liked Adrienne, how she struggled and tried to just live her life. That she met Paul was just perfect and I felt happy for her. But I did miss something in this book. It was predictable, lacked originality, I missed the 'sparks'. It's not that I was disappointed, because I still enjoyed reading this book like every other Sparks book. "Nights in Rodanthe" just didn't give me the same feeling, while reading and after I finished, that for instance "The Notebook" and "The Lucky One" gave me. I still consider Nicholas Sparks a great writer, this just wasn't his best.
Rating: 3,5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: