woensdag 9 januari 2013

50 Books Challenge 2013 - # 1: Eon by Alison Goodman (Eon # 1)

Title: Eon (Eon # 1)
Author: Alison Goodman
Story: Sixteen-year-old Eon has a dream, and a mission. For years, he's been studying sword-work and magic, toward one end. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye-an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a twelve-year-old boy. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured. When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.
Start: january 1st 2013
End: january 9th 2013
Comment: Eon is the apprentice of Dragonmaster Tozay and one of twelve other boys who will be competing for selection by the Rat Dragon. The only things is, Eon isn't a boy. Eon is really Eona. I wanted to read this for quite a while now and when I received it for Christmas I couldn't wait to start reading. I was a bit disappointed because I thought this fantasy book, about dragons, would grab me and amaze me. Sadly enough it didn't do that as much as I hoped it would. It was still a pretty good read and the author kept up with the pace of the main theme of the book. Goodman's writing style is easy to slip into, and the story has the promise of being thoroughly engrossing, but in my opinion it failed to meet my expectations. There were some moments in the book that kept me on the edge of my seat, but sometimes I just couldn't wait for the chapter to end. I hope "Eona", the sequel, is better and I will read it. Because I'm anxious to know how it all continues.
Rating: 3/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: