zondag 18 november 2012

50 Books Challenge 2012 - # 48: A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire # 2) by George R. R. Martin

Title: A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire # 2)
Author: George R. R. Martin
Story: A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.
Start: november 2nd 2012
End: november 18th 2012
Comment: I'm a fan of the first book. Loved it so much. I was very excited about the second book, but unfortunately it didn't met my expectations. But it's still an awesome sequel. Like the first, Martin tells the story from various points of view. This time the story of Theon is added and we continue to follow Arya, Sansa, Catelyn, Jon, Tyrion and Daenerys. In the first book we read a lot about Daenerys, I kind of missed that here. She only has a couple of chapters dedicated to her, I was hoping for more. I did like to read about the split Stark clan. Especially Arya. She is though and also very likeable. I already liked her in the first book, but she was more present in "A Clash of Kings". Her arc was very adventurous. So different from her sister Sansa. One character I truly dispise is Joffrey. Ever single time I just wanted to slap him in the face and kick him in the jewels. Aaargh!! Tyrion is one of the more interesting arcs. He has to prove himself, this time to his dad. Tyrion kind of grew on me in this book. I like his sharp tongue. The second book in the series was just too big and it wasn't as fast paced as its prequel. But overall the stage is set nicely for the next book. In particular, the battle at Blackwater is a great literary scene. "A Storm of Swords" is already waiting for me on the shelve, so I can't wait to see how it all continues.
Rating: 4/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: