woensdag 7 augustus 2013

50 Books Challenge 2013 - # 29: The Hive by Gill Hornby

Title: The Hive
Author: Gill Hornby
Story: Welcome to St Ambrose Primary School. A world of friendships, fights and feuding. And that's just the mothers. It's the start of another school year at St Ambrose. But while the children are in the classroom coloring in, their mothers are learning sharper lessons on the other side of the school gates. Lessons in friendship. Lessons in betrayal. Lessons in the laws of community, the transience of power... and how to get invited to lunch.
Start: august 1st 2013
End: august 7th 2013
Comment: As a teacher I'm awfully familiar with parents. Kind parents, critical parents, but also simply annoying and I-think-I-know-everything-parents. In this book it's all about the mothers that rule at St. Ambrose Primary School. We have Bea, the leader of the pack. Very organized and one of those know-it-alls. Georgie is a messy woman, but a miracle worker in the kitchen. Rachel is a newly divorced children's book illustrator and Heather is the insecure mom who worships Bea for some reason. Of them all I liked Rachel at first and as the story developed I could also relate to Heather. Especially in the end, I was so happy for her. Georgie also grew on me a bit. Bea was just very unlikeable. I really liked the references to bees (therefore the title of the book). Some things in this books are so recognizable and I really enjoyed it a whole lot. But it's a bit repetitive, which can get a little dull in the end. All in all "The Hive" is a fun read, especially for women.
Rating: 3,5/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: