zondag 13 mei 2012

50 Books Challenge 2012 - # 20: The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Maze Runner # 1)

Title: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner # 1)
Author: James Dashner
Story: When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls. Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift. Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.
Start: may 6st 2012
End: may 13th 2012
Comment: I read so many good reviews about "The Maze Runner" and I was compared to "The Hunger Games" trilogy that I just had to read it. Because of all this I feel really sorry about writing this review. I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. The story sounded so interesting. It starts out that way. You feel just like Thomas, you don't know what's happening. It's a great opening, but unfortunately the rest of the book wasn't. It was kind of slow and sometimes even a bit boring and that's really sad because this plot could be very action packed. What I missed the most was interesting characters. None of the characters spoke to me, I couldn't relate to them and there was no character development what so ever. I think that's really important. I was also a but annoyed by the made up slang. At first it was funny, but it started bugging me. I gave this book two stars because the plot was original, I liked the mystery and the ending was good. I can understand why so many people like it, but please don't compare it to "The Hunger Games" again.
Rating: 2/ 5

Geen opmerkingen: